Thursday, January 17, 2008

Manifold - The End

Well, the manifold saga is over! I went down and paid the bill this morning and the total, including the removal, welding, machining and reinstalling of the manifold as well as a complete new set of spark plug wires was $5300 Pesos or about $520 CAN. This is a LOT less than the same job would cost back in Canada which a retired mechanic in the park here said would have been around $2000 CAN for the manifold alone. It was a little frustrating dealing with the local "mechanico" shop as nobody seemed to be in a hurry to do anything but everything worked out in the end. While I was in the shop paying the bill I saw the mechanic who did the job and gave him a $200 Peso tip and thanked him for a job well done. I would not hesitate to recommend this shop to anyone needing work done down here. Just have patience and remember you are in Mexico!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Croft, glad you got it all fixed! I arrive in Mazatlan tomorrow and need two tyres for the American School bus I am running a trip in - random I know! Do you have contact details for this mechanics? I need an air gun to get the bolts off..... Also, do you know what time they would be open until?
    Cheer and happy travels
    Lou

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was several years ago, Lou, 2008. take it to a truck tire shop, there are tons of them. They will take care of you.

    ReplyDelete