Saturday, March 8, 2008

The ¨Rolex¨Watch

As we were having a drink at a open air restaurant in the square last night, a salesman walked by selling watches. I brushed him off in my usual way with a ¨No gratias¨ but he kept returning. I then noticed that one of the items he was selling was a shiny new Rolex watch! He obviously had no idea of the value of this item because all he was asking for it was $500 Pesos ($45 USA)! I wondered how much I could talk him down so I offered $300 which he immediately turned down. I was not going to come up any higher so I said ¨No Thanks¨ at which point his English improved and he told me it was his only sale of the night and he had to buy food for his family and agreed to my price.

Well, I could hardly contain myself as I handed over the $300 Pesos ($25 USA) for a brand new Rolex watch! I checked the setting and put my proud new possession on my wrist. It states, ¨Don´t mess with me, I got me a Rolex!¨

This morning we awoke and Norma asked me the time. I looked at my Rolex and announced, ¨6:30¨. She told me it had to be later than that as the sun was up so I double checked the time on my old watch and indeed it was actually 8:15.

This whole thing just goes to prove that no matter the quality of an item you buy, sometimes you just get a lemon! I am sure I will be unable to find the salesman this morning before we leave so I think maybe the watch will become a Christmas present for my son who also appreciates the value of high end items like a ¨Rolex¨ watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment