Sunday, January 4, 2009

Día de Reyes, or, Day Of The Kings

January 6 is Three Kings Day in Mexico. Twelve days after Christmas the Three Kings bring gifts to Mexican Children. Santa visits some families but he is seen as an imported custom and Three Kings Day remains the traditional day for gifts of toys. Children write notes to the Kings and leave these notes on their Christmas Trees.

On our (Norma’s) bargain hunting trip to Liverpool today, I was banished to walking the mall for a couple of hours instead of “helping” her shop. As luck would have it, the Three Kings happened to be in the mall talking to children about what they would like to find either under the tree or in the shoe left outside their bedroom door on the 6th. I took a couple of shots of the Kings and their Helpers and then waited for a child to happened along so I could get a shot of the Kings in action.

As I waited, a security guard came up to me, introduced himself, shook my hand and informed me I could not take photos of the Kings. It seems the Kings sell photos of their visits and do not want any competition. I apologized in my very best poor Spanish and we parted friends.

Here are the Three Kings with no children:

DSC_9122

DSC_9105

And the Nativity Scene:

DSC_9109

No comments:

Post a Comment