Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It Just Makes You Shake Your Head

Honesty. You either have it or you don’t. I have found most Mexicans, at least the ones I have run into,  have it.

In Cuernavaca we took two week’s worth of laundry to a lavanderia down the road. These people wash, dry and fold your laundry for less money than we used to pay in laundromats another lifetime ago when we used to winter in the USA. Our laundry is always spotless, neatly folded and packaged. Unlike our washer and dryer at home, theirs do not eat socks. We have never lost anything.

When I went to pick up the laundry, I paid the very reasonable $160 Peso ($15 CAN) charge and went to leave. The woman noticed a note she had made and called me back. She handed me $250 Pesos that she had found in my pocket. $250 Pesos is probably two days pay for this laundry worker. Maybe more. It was just after Christmas and just before Three Kings Day and she obviously needed it more than I did because I did not even know I had lost it. This kind of honesty just makes you shake your head.

I handed her $50 Pesos and thanked her. She thanked me for the $50 Pesos after trying to refuse it. It just makes you shake your head.

2 comments:

  1. Croft
    Once again you have put into words what this world needs more of... honest people like that laundry woman and decent people like you. Pay it forward.
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to thank you for reinforcing our belief that RVing in Mexico is still safe, beautiful and the experience of a lifetime.

    So many Americans here are trying to scare us away from going, but your posts are giving us confidence that it's not what the media makes it out to be down there. Thanks for detailing your journey, I love reading about it.

    ReplyDelete