Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oxtankah Ruins

I took a drive about six kilometres up the road past the RV Park today to visit the Oxtankah ruins. These ruins are named for the archaeologist who discovered them as the original Mayan name is not known. It is known that the city engaged in trade with people living by the nearby sea.

I was the only visitor during the time I was there so I had the full attention of the  on site archaeologist who explained that some of the paint on the carving of the jaguar and the accompanying hieroglyphics is original while some (on the jaguar itself) has been added as part of the restoration process.

I ended up almost running through the final part of my visit as the mosquitos were getting really bad. REMINDER: take repellant!

blog1

blog1b

blog2

blog4

blog5

No comments:

Post a Comment