Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It Ate My ATM Card!

We stopped at a WalMart for a few groceries and I went to the ATM to replenish my cash supply. As usual I asked for $4000 Pesos. The machine whirred and clicked for a longer time than usual and then a message appeared telling me there was not enough cash in the machine to give me all I wanted and that I should count the cash carefully and compare it with the printout. It then handed me my cash and printed the slip. It said that it had given me $3400Pesos and when I counted the cash, it agreed. All this time I guess the machine was waiting for me to take my card back which I was too busy to do. By the time I noticed the card sitting there, it was being drawn back into the machine and I was too late!

I remember reading that this happens because the machine has decided that I have walked away without the card and it is going to keep it. No amount of crying or button pushing is going to reverse this decision. And it didn’t!

This could have been a disaster but luckily for me, I had convinced my Credit Union to issue me another ATM card before we left Canada just in case of this type of emergency. The replacement card was hidden in the RV. Of course I had forgotten where I hid it but eventually came up with it. I then called my Credit Union to cancel the confiscated card. Now I have to find an ATM to test this card which has not been used for many months. I am sure all will be well.

ON EDIT: I just checked my bank balance on line and I see the HSBC ATM charged my account for a $3400 DOLLAR withdrawal! I called VanCity and they said that would be impossible because of my daily withdrawal limit. They are “checking into it” but warn me it could take a couple of months! Ouch! I still have not tested my replacement ATM card….

Someone ... I think my niece in Mazatlan told me she never uses one of the ATMs that you push your card into. She will only use the one with a scanner that you slide the card past and keep it in your hand. I think I have just joined this team.

Edit, Edit! I just checked my account again and the amount is straightened out! It is so nice to have human beings working at the bank! A computer would have taken months!

4 comments:

  1. OUCH on the charge, that's crazy! Oddly enough I lost my card to the machine this week too, but more out of stupidity than anything, I walked away from the machine just counting money and totally forgot about the stupid card. Thank goodness it's a Mexican bank so I was able to take care of it, I wouldn't want the hassle of trying to deal with a Canadian bank in that situation!

    Good luck getting everything straightened out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy. You have tested your extra card now? We carry three different bank cards now, because from time to time we'll come across a machine that refuses to recognize us, or tells us (wrongly) that we're overdrawn. We've never actually lost a card, though. That would be very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeez, I don't know whether to think you are totally lucky or totally unlucky! LOL Do they sent the card back to your bank when they empty the ATM? Hope the other card works. If it doesn't it could make the trip back north very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few years ago, i had an ATM in Mexico City eat my card when i walked away without it; i can't talk/listen and do anything else at the same time, lol. that bank said it was their policy to keep the card and destroy it. there was a bank attached to the ATM so we went into the bank and explained the situation. but alas, no card back. i had the receipt. i was about to return home and had gotten enough out to last til then. it is scary the first time!

    ReplyDelete