Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Jobless for 3,400 Days

I have been jobless for almost 3,400 days now!

That is if you do not count the bottomless "Job Jar" at home and tweaks to our second home, the Tioga. In my working life I never experienced unemployment. I changed careers a couple of times when I was young but always had a new job to go to before I quit the last one. I always knew what I would be doing the next day even though I had little control over it. The last twenty years or so I really did not have a boss.

I, along with everyone else in the Radio Maintenance Department of the Telephone Company, were what evaluators called "Self-Managed". I never found myself in the position of having to ask what they wanted me to do, it was always (sometimes painfully) obvious what had to be done. I had at least one boss who did not actually know what I did for a living and never had the occasion to ask. My job could be described as weeks of tedious boredom (preventative maintenance) interspersed with hours of sheer panic (when something broke and a community became isolated - usually at two in the morning).

One of my partners once said to me, "Croft, nobody ever tells us what to do. A couple of weeks ago I wondered what would happen if I did nothing, so for three days I did nothing. I sat at the workbench and read and puttered. I listened to the radio and went for coffee. The boss came in a couple of times, said hi and left. He never asked me why I was sitting there doing nothing when all my workmates were out doing things. After almost three days I got very bored and found something to do". The rest of us never noticed either. We were all out "Self Starting".

Those great days are now over. Now I have a boss who tries to micro manage me. It is a case of the irresistible force meeting the immovable object.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Croft, is this true?

    Results of a recent research shows that there are 7 kinds of sex:

    The 1st kind of sex is called: Smurf Sex.
    * This kind of sex happens when you first meet someone and you both have
    sex until you are blue in the face.

    The 2nd kind of sex is called: Kitchen Sex.
    * This is when you have been with your partner for a short time and you
    are so needy you will have sex anywhere, even in the kitchen.

    The 3rd kind of sex is called: Bedroom Sex.
    * This is when you have been with your partner for a long time. Your sex
    has gotten routine and you usually have sex only in your bedroom.

    The 4th kind of sex is called: Hallway Sex.
    * This is when you have been with your partner for too long. When you pass
    each other in the Hallway you both say "screw you."

    The 5th kind of sex is called: Religious Sex.
    * Which means you get Nun in the morning, Nun in the afternoon and Nun at
    night. (Very Popular)

    The 6th kind is called Courtroom Sex.
    * This is when you cannot stand your wife any more. She takes you to court
    and screws you in front of everyone.

    And; Last, but not least,
    The 7th kind of sex is called: Canada Pension Sex.
    * You get a little each month,
    but not enough to enjoy your self.

    PLEASE, DO NOT REPLY TO TELL ME WHAT STAGE YOU ARE IN.
    I have enough problems of my own. image

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are not even a Canadian, Don!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3400 days.....braggart

    ReplyDelete