Friday, June 18, 2010

Eagle Lunch




We bought a sockeye salmon to take to Brooks' for dinner tomorrow. We trimmed it out so I had a bag of scraps to feed to the eagles on the beach out front. I know they have a nest somewhere behind the house as I can hear their conversations but I have not been able to spot the nest.

I placed the bones and head on a large flat rock, retreated back a ways, sat down with my camera and waited. In about two minutes a couple of seagulls landed but saw the circling pair of eagles and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and left. The eagles circled a couple of times until they decided that I meant no harm and swept in. The first one landed and grabbed the backbone, followed closely by his/her mate who grabbed the head. It was all over in a few seconds. They did not leave a tip but I got the photos.

These photos were a test of my new 18 - 250 Tamron lens. I decided to return the 18 - 200 that was sent in error and to get the one I wanted in the first place. I am happy I did.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I always love Eagles, I think they are one of the most majestic birds in the world.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete