Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Satisfied Customer!

I got a phone call today from the person who bought our old 1994 Tioga MH. He actually bought it from our son who had bought it from us, but anyway... He had a list of questions for me mostly about electrical changes I had made to the rig and after we talked for a good half hour he told me how happy they were with the rig and how much fun they were having with it. They had just returned from a one week baseball camp for his son up in the Okanagan. It had a couple of small existing problems like a slightly leaking exhaust manifold and a windshield that would not seal properly due to some rust on the frame. We had fully disclosed these things during the sale and he had no problem because he could fix both things himself.

He was thrilled to find that even at 160,000 miles it burned absolutely no oil. He is good at the mechanical end of things but a little shaky in understanding the electrical stuff like, "Why would you install 6 volt batteries when the coach needs 12 volts"? He is a nice guy so I do not mind walking him through it although I sometimes get the feeling he thinks I do not know what I am talking about. ;)

He asked my advice on a couple of maintenance issues and thanked me for taking such good care of the rig. It made me very happy to get that call as I always hate selling anything for fear that there are hidden problems that I do not know about and pass on to the new owner. I am glad they like it and it has a lot of life left in it. As a matter of fact, I often wish I had spent some money on it and kept it instead of moving up. It has more power (Chevy 454) and a much heavier frame than the new one (2005 Ford V10) as well as getting better gas mileage.

6 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are an honest & caring guy! Regrets, eh!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sellers remorse! I miss that 10-11 MPG.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but your current Class C is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised on the mileage issue - your new rig is larger (sorry to be lacking in RV awareness - just wondering).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The old rig was 30' and the new one is 31'. The big difference is the new one has a slideout. The old one had a much higher carrying capacity and the new one is running overloaded much of the time because it has much more storage area. The 454 seemed more powerful and efficient than the V10.

    The old one seldom got less than 9 mpg, averaging 10-11 and the new one averages 7-8 and seldom gets higher than 9 except on level roads at 50-55 mph with moisture in the air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty cool hearing from the new owner of your old rig. Don't know about Canada but down here in the US they keep fooling with the emissions regs and that NEVER helps mileage. Our 08 diesel pickup couldn't break 20 mpg (11.7L/100km) empty with a tailwind going downhill.

    ReplyDelete