Sunday, April 1, 2012

New Computer!

About a month before we left home in November my desktop computer crashed and burned. It was about five years old, running Windows XP and I upgraded it to 1 GB of RAM. I paid over $1000 for it back then! I was going to buy a new one on the way back through the USA but in the meantime I got an email from Newegg telling me about a free shipping sale.

One of the items was a re-certified Acer with a Quad Core AMD processor, 4 GB of memory and a 1 TB hard drive. The OS is Windows 7 64 bit. It is all I need and for $499 less $190 "instant rebate" and free shipping, it was too good to pass up. Final cost after tax is $347.

I will probably pick up a cheap "all in one" printer at Walmart in the USA on the way through. My old printer has been misbehaving for the last year. It is wireless and I was able to print from all my computers for a while but soon it would only recognize the one it was hardwired to. The laser printer on Norma's computer was a gig disappointment from the start. It took about three minutes to print one sheet and refused to print multiple copies. It will be heading for the recycling bin at our neighborhood computer store.

So now when I get home I have to set up the new computer, rid it of the bloatware they always come with and do my taxes on it. It will be a busy few days!

On a sadder note, our friend Les had his motor scooter stolen right off the back of his motorhome while he slept in it in Puerto Penasco! It was chained on but they just cut the lock off. The park had nighttime security but they knew nothing! It was such a dependable scooter for Les. I just hope he has good luck with his Mexican insurance and will be able to replace her.

UPDATE: Well, apparently Les considered this to be some kind of British April fools Day humour! So, no stolen scooter...... I guess you have to be a Brit to understand...

5 comments:

  1. I bought a Canon MP250 for $39.99US at Walmart it copies, scans & prints and it is small enough to put in the fiver. The print speed is relatively fast and the scan reproduction is great, I have scanned pictures and they look great.Can't go wrong at that price. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you guys still in Saltillo? Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always thought Les' use of a moped "Bonita" instead of towing a car is a great idea for a single fella or gal. When dear husband and I travel in the US with our bicycles locked to the back of our camper, we turn on a motion sensor at the rear of the camper before we go to bed at night. Of course, an animal bouncing on the rear of the camper and a bad storm have set off the sensor occasionally. I guess one would have to ask themselves, what would you do? Would you confront the thieves and risk being harmed? My aim is to just provide the thieves enough light and noise to scare them away.

    Dee in South Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked up a HP Printer that prints, copies, scans and is wireless!! $99 and because I live in Oregon.... no tax. It works for us. Sounds like you got a great deal on your computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Re: April Fool's. Um yes, to me a proper April Fool's joke is one where it's almost believable but just "doesn't seem right". Like someone like Don Cherry introducing his own line of clothing. Just not right, but almost believable at first.
    Stolen scooter? I have no constructive comment in that regard.

    ReplyDelete