Saturday, September 22, 2012

Anonymous Commenters

I have had to turn off anonymous commenting. I hate to do this as I have two long time and much appreciated commenters who comment anonymously but sign their names to their comments. Bill from NE and Kelly from Whistler, I hope you go through the process required and continue to add to this Blog, I appreciate your comments very much.

I have just cleaned out my control panel's spam section and I had more than 1,200 spam messages in there! This is far too many to sort through individually to keep the one or two legitimate messages that might be there so I deleted all of them.

Sorry, but it had to be done.

EDIT: I have undone this action. After second and third thoughts on the subject I decided to create an email filter in Gmail to send notifications of anonymous comments directly to the trash bin. This stops me having to deal with as many as twenty email notifications per day, all of them describing spam.

5 comments:

  1. Sucks to be popular. Actually, maybe I had better check my spam folder in Blogger.
    If I get any, they also show up as an email. I always know it's spam, since the wording is stilted, and then of course there's the obligatory link to some crap or other.
    I only get slightly annoyed when there's too many hoops to jump through in order to make one simple comment. Then I just move on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bob. Those two word recognition things are aggravating to say the least! You will not find it here.

      Delete
  2. I can't relate, I'm not so popular :). I get one or two spams a week. Too bad people are that way, or companies who use spam to promote products.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Croft - they have filters to install that will parse out most if not all spam - a better way to go than eliminating legit comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You talked me into it John. It is now back to normal.

      Delete