Monday, December 24, 2012

A Mexican "Night Before Christmas"

Twas the night before Christmas, and all through la casa, 
Not a creature was stirring, I wondered, que pasa? 
I was hanging the stockings with mucho cuidado, 
In hopes that old Santa would feel obligado, 
To bring all the children, both buenos y malos, 
A nice batch of dulces and other regalos. 
My brothers and I went to sleep in our camas, 
Some in long underwear, and some in piyamas. 
When out in the yard there arose such a grito, 
That I jumped to my feet like a frightened cabrito. 
I ran to the window and looked afuera. 
And who in the world do you think quien era? 
St. Nick in a sleigh and a big sombrero 
Came dashing along like a little bombero. 
And pulling his sleigh instead of venados, 
Were eight little burros, approaching volados. 
I watched as they came, and this fat little hombre 
Was shouting and whistling, and calling by nombre: 
Ay Pancho, ay Pepe, ay Cuca, ay Beto! 
Ay Chata, ay Chopo, Maruca y Nieto! 
Then standing erect, with his hands on his pecho, 
He flew to the top of our very own techo. 
With his round little belly like a bowl of jalea, 
He struggled to squeeze down our old chimenea. 
Then huffing and puffing, a little cansado, 
He picked up a bag that looked muy pesado. 
He filled all the stockings with lovely regalos. 
Then chuckling aloud, seeming very contento, 
He turned like a flash and was gone like the viento. 
And I heard him exclaim, and this is verdad: 
Merry Christmas a todos ... feliz navidad!

6 comments:

  1. Thought you may be interested in this. May be close to you guys. Pop in, I'm sure you would be welcome.

    http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/29/royal-canadian-legion-opens-branch-in-mexico/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fitting! Merry Christmas!....or, better yet, Feliz Navidad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a Joyeux Noel to you and your family, Rene!

      Delete
  3. Very cute! Muchísimos gracias, Sr. Randle.

    ReplyDelete