Sunday, September 29, 2013

Back To Mint But Older Version 14

I Googled "best Linux for low memory" and found an article recommending installing Mint 14 "Nadia" MATE. The writer claimed this version has lower requirements and should work in an older system without a dedicated video card. A further search indicated it should work with my 512 Megs of memory although 1GB is recommended.

Well, so far so good. It seems to have all the bells and whistles and it easily updated four hundred and some programs or files when I asked it to.

The only problem I am having now is a window that appears after I boot saying:

Error mounting system-managed device /dev/fd0: Command-line `mount "/media/floppy0"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device

I do have a floppy drive but have no intention of ever using it so if anyone has any simple instructions for fixing this....


*NOTE* This is now fixed! See comments section!




8 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you Croft! That's the way to keep searching for the answer.

    Anyone can make the latest software run on the latest hardware but to get some older software running on older hardware typically takes a little trial and error.

    As for getting rid of that message Google "fstab". That should explain what you need to know.

    Teaching someone to fish is always better than giving them a fish. Well, almost. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way Mint 14 is pretty new so if you can run it you will have a very up to date system. I believe Mint is only at 15 now and a new version comes out every 6 months or so. Looking at Distrowatch it looks like 14 came out at the end of 2012 so it is pretty recent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any room for more memory in that PC? I have some old DDR memory sitting around that I would be more than happy to send your way if you can use it.

    I have 2 sticks of 256MB PC3200 (matched set), 1 stick of 512MB PC2100 and 1 stick of Kingston 512MB PC2700.

    I can't swear they are good but I usually don't keep bad memory. I keep it for those times when someone needs some old stuff. I'm also assuming this computer uses DDR memory rather than something older or newer but I could be wrong. Let me know if you want it. Be more than happy to send it your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, it's fixed! I went into BIOS and disabled the diskette drive. No more warning. I found it bu Googling the entire message that came up.

    Don, thanks for the offer! I will try to discover what kind of memory is in here. It id probably upgradeable to 1GB. I might even have the invoice somewhere. Send me an email to croft.randle at gmail dot com so I can contact you. Thanks again for all the help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got your message on the blog. Cool, looks like you're making progress. Imagine, a day without any virus threat. I have two old but usable laptops. Hmm, but the way I procrastinate . . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have fun with it Chris. The download and install is easy and your laptops are probably far newer than my old desktop so you should not have the same problems I had.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you are having fun with linux, sounds like it could be a project for me in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats, Croft. I sounds like you've made a good connection with an experienced Linux user in Don. I think the more you play with Linux Mint the more surprised you'll be at how good it is and how similar to Windowss in operation. I bit of extra memory would be a good thing. If you Google the brand and model of your computer you should be able to find out what kind of memory is used in it.

    ReplyDelete