Friday, December 5, 2014

Unhinged

The most used cupboard, the one the coffee is kept in, had a hinge that has been giving us trouble for some time. I have had to increase the size of the screws and reinforce the holes in the particle board with glue in the past. A couple of days ago, one of the hinges broke and the door was in danger of falling off so it was time to get to work.

I found heavier duty hinges downtown and replaced the two that were on the door. I moved the door 1/4 of an inch so I was screwing into fresh wood but as it turned out, the door was mounted off-center from the start so moving it actually fixed it location wise.

These hinges were cheap ($2.79 for 2) but are much stronger and better quality than the ones Fleetwood used. I probably should pick up a few more for the "stuff" bin.

The other repair I did today was to replace one of the gas filled tubes that holds the outside compartment doors open. There is an RV supply place near here and they had the part for $22. It was a simple task to snap the old one off and the new one on.

We decided to reward ourselves for a job well done and went down to Ruby's Diner for dinner. Ruby's is a 50's style diner on the main drag in Palm Springs. It is bright chrome with red plastic upholstery and really looks like an old 50's diner. The only thing missing was a juke box. I learned about Ruby's from Rick's (earlier) Blog and had it on my "must do" list.

We stopped for a few groceries on the way home and had a little frustration when the ATM refused to accept my debit card. We eventually found another one that took it so I didn't burst a vein.

13 comments:

  1. Happy to hear that you do not come unhinged over the first ATM :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was close. I always panic when I get low on cash.

      Delete
  2. I'm grinning at the image of how often that door has been opened and closed since you got the RV. I just left my coffee on the counter in a pretty canister and stowed in the sink when traveling. :)

    The diner sounds like so much fun. I have a soft spot for diners.

    I had the same issue with an ATM in Maz. Not all ATMs will take our debit cards. Trial and error. Glad you treated it like the non-issue it was. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a productive day. Now I need a day to recover!

      Delete
    2. Spoken like a true retiree!

      Delete
  3. Nice to get a few minor repairs done, while you are enjoying warm weather.
    Ruby's sounds like a fun place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work on the cupboard fix up.

    There are a few Ruby's Diners around. If you and Norma do a day ride out to Oceanside, Ruby's Diner can be found at the end of the long pier. The view is really nice from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An overnight trip to Oceanside is on the to-do list, Rene'. You put that bug in place last year.

      Delete
  5. Glad you enjoyed Ruby's Diner. It sure is a nice location in the heart of downtown Palm Springs.

    Nice job on fixing those hinges without having to blast!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear your restaurant choice was better than ours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bad sign when the waiter orders out! ;)

      Delete